The votes were tallied at the annual MacChilifest competition held at Bedford Middle School in Westport on Sunday Feb. 7, 2016 and the event has crowned several local champions including one for the best mac 'n cheese. Guests voted in 3 categories, Classic Beef Chili Category, Creative Chili Category, Mac 'n Cheese Category.
Classic Beef Chili Category:
- 1st Place: Chilibomb in Fairfield for their “Texas Peacemaker” Chili
- 2nd Place: The Weston Fire Dept. with their “SmokeEater” Chil
- 3rd Place: Southport Brewing Co. with their “Maple Stout” Chili
Creative Chili Category:
- 1st Place: Little Pub of Wilton with their “Moroccan Picadillo” Chili
- 2nd Place (tie): Liquid Lunch of Shelton for their “Pumpkin Brisket” Chili
- 2nd Place (tie): Old Post Tavern of Fairfield with “Pat's Smokehouse” Chili
Mac 'n Cheese Category:
- Simply Delicious of Norwalk with their “Jack Mac”
- Chilibomb of Fairfield for their “Pulled Pork Mac”
- DrewbaQ Food Truck with their “Q Bowl” Mac
The Weston and Westport Fire Departments were filmed for a future episode of the popular Firehouse Kitchen TV program, showcasing the firefighters competing head to head with seasoned chefs from local area restaurants. The Weston Fire Department not only earned bragging rights over their neighbor department of Westport but they beat four restaurants in their category finishing second.
Attendees sampled over 200 gallons of chili and mac 'n cheese Topped it with cheese and sour cream supplied by Cabot Creamery. Sampled artisan bread from Chabaso Bakery dipped in queso from Geronimo restaurant plus enjoyed the tiramisu samples made by The Greens at Cannondale. After so much chili, event goers welcomed the water station sponsored by Stop & Shop and the breath mints from Volvo of Westport. The crowd was put in a super bowl mood with the football sounds from the Sacred Heart University band.