Combine and steep. Wait. Taste. Wait some more. Taste. Shake. Pour. Savor. Pat yourself on the back.
This week's concoction will take a bit more patience than your average cocktail. In addition to the unusual ingredient list, plan ahead as little as 72 hours to a fortnight in order to create your own imaginative vodka infusion inspired by Fez, Stamford's newest North African fusion hot spot.
Sampled during our recent restaurant review, this cocktail's unique ingredient list (including dill, cucumber and garlic) make this savory infusion one of the most interesting cocktails of the season.
The Fez: Vodka Infused with Dill & Garlic
- Vodka (as much as you can spare)
- Fresh dill
- Garlic cloves
- Garnish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
*Amounts are measured at your discretion and taste. Enough to make a statement, not too much that garlic is oozing out your pores.
There are a few pieces to the infusion puzzle; vodka, aromatics, produce and a container (with a tight lid). Depending on the components, infusions can take as little as a few hours to a several days. Ideally invest in a container with a spigot and a very tight lid. So patience, and frequent testing is advised.
1. Prepare your produce. Slice the cucumber to expose its flesh.
2. Gather your aromatics.
3. Fill your container with sliced cucumber and aromatics.
4. Cover with vodka
5. Wait and periodically taste.
6. Once you're satisfied with the flavors, strain your infusion, shake with ice and pour into a chilled glass. Finish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Get Your Fez On: Morroccan in Stamford (July 25, 2010)
How to Infuse Vodka - WIRED