Live from CTbites global headquarters, Chef Matt Storch of Match Restaurant launches the CTbites Chef Demo Video series. Watch and learn people.
Matt Storch's recipe for Pomegranate-Orange Braised Boneless Beef Short Ribs With Pea Puree takes a classic winter dish and re-imagines it for spring with vibrant fresh peas. Get great tips as you watch Chef Storch review the basics of braising in this beautiful dish.
If you have a chef or recipe you would like to see on CTbites, let us know.
Pomegranate-Orange Braised Boneless Beef Short Ribs w Pea Puree
Serves 4 appetizer size portions
4 pieces Boneless beef short ribs cut into 2” squares (about 12 pieces) or 2lbs
4 cloves Garlic (peeled) and smashed
¼ cup Blend oil
2 sprigs Rosemary
2 sprigs Thyme
4 cups Pomegranate juice
5 each Oranges (juiced)
4 cups Veal stock
3lbs Fresh Peas in the pod
1bag Frozen Peas
1 each Large Carrot (cut into an extremely small dice)
- Season meat heavily with salt and pepper
- Sear in very hot sauté pan with blended oil
- Place short ribs, rosemary, thyme, juices, stock, and mirepoix in a braiser (any deep oven proof pot with a lid).
- Bring to a boil and place in a preheated 300 degree oven for about 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat from liquid and reduce the sauce by half, skimming the grease and impurities that rise to the surface.
- For the pea puree…shuck the peas and reserve. Sauté the pods, cover with water and simmer for one hour. Blanch fresh peas in boiling water. Add ½ of the hot pea stock, frozen peas, and half the fresh peas to the blender. Blend until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
- To plate…cover the base of the plates with the pea puree, top with short ribs, glaze with braising sauce, and sprinkle with small dice carrots.