We continue our series, "Where Do Local Chefs Eat Out," with a man who knows a thing or two about baked goods. John Barricalli of Sono Baking Company has been making bread the old fashioned way since before "artisan" was trendy. His favorite item? The classic sourdough loaf. Here's where John eats out when he isn't in his own kitchen.
- On the rare day or night you’re off from the restaurant where do you prefer to have dinner?(If home what is your meal or food of choice)?
I want to eat out preferably....as i am in a kitchen 14 to 18 hours a day. If I stay home I like to cook any kind of pasta ….CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE I CALL IT
- When dining out, what are you favorite local restaurants? Why?
my go to restaurants are Artisan and Liana's both in fairfield....if Frederic is cooking at Artisan, there is no better food anywhere....and Liana's is like eating at home....she cooks as i do… Artisan gives me refined and clean flavors while using classical methods of preparation while Liana's is my heritage and home away from home...style of cooking
- Do you have a favorite local bar or watering hole?
Martel is a great watering hole and a great happy hour with cheap oysters while my dive bar tends to be not so much a hole in the wall....Caseus in New Haven gives me quite good feeling every time I am there....too bad it is far away...or i would be a fixture at the bar
- How about a secret hole in the wall or as of yet undiscovered (by us) gem?
my still secretive place dante's pizza in new canaan and his wife miyuki noodle bar are both great foods at 75 pine street ....still not that busy....both very talented
- What’s your favorite restaurant in the tristate area, excluding Connecticut?
My favorite restaurant in the tri state is a stone's throw from my grandmother's old house in Williamsburg Brooklyn. LILIA's......can't stop eating her food, but I have a feeling Taproot will soon replace that because of its proximity.