Equal parts businessman and chef, Gopi Nair is the man behind New Haven's 'fast casual' Tikkaway Grill. The former managing partner of South Norwalk's Coromandel, he is a familiar face to Indian food lovers in Fairfield County and has thankfully extended his reach east to New Haven. His passion for Indian cuisine and dedication to customer service has inspired Tikkaway’s central tenants: a fresh, healthy, and informal take on Indian food.
"I have been thinking that to me the world has two sets of people," said Nair. "Those who love Indian food but can't get enough and more frequently, and those who don't know Indian cuisine and have stayed away from it till now! Tikkaway grill is for both of them."
1. If you had unexpected guests arriving at your home for dinner in one hour, what would you whip up?
Assorted roti rolls ..( stuffed with chicken, vegtables available at home ..fish..)
2. What is the last dish you cooked for yourself?
Omelette ( onions, mushroom,cilantro and spinach)
3. What ingredient could you not live without?
4. What was your worst kitchen nightmare?
Ran out of my basic sauces !
5. What is your most useful kitchen tool or appliance?
6. What is your Favorite Connecticut restaurant (other than your own)?
7. What is the most ordered dish @ your restaurant? Why?
Tikkaway Rice bowls .... extremely versatile.. flavors galore .. great value.. every body gets it !!!
8. What defines an outstanding meal for you?
Your doctor should approve it , your mom should love it and you should finish it !
9. Who do you like to cook for the most?
My wife !!!
10. What is your favorite recipe for this season? Can you share it?
I am consumed by tikkaway menu items ...