As family and friends arrive, it's always a great idea to have a few nibbles ready for them to enjoy as cooks in the kitchen place the final touches on the main courses. Many homes will be filled with the aroma of chestnut stuffing, so tantalize the taste buds with a delicious appetizer with a hidden ingredient, chestnut butter. Chef Mogan Anthony of Locali Pizza Bar + Kitchen shares his recipe for “Chestnut Butter Bruschetta with Burrata, Kale or Arugula” that pairs chestnut butter with greens and Burrata.
From Chef Mogan Anthony
- 1 Cup peeled roasted chestnuts (you may substitute prepared store bought)
- 2-4 Tablespoons roasted Hazelnuts
- ¼ Cup Hazelnut oil
- ¼ Cup water (less as needed)
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Lemon vinaigrette
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Using a sharp knife, CAREFULLY cut a cross in the top of the chestnuts, place them in a baking pan, and roast for approximately 30 min in the oven.
- Remove and while they are hot, use a knife to remove the shell, it can be a little tricky, but it will be worth the effort!
- Using the same baking pan and heat in the oven to give the hazelnuts a little roast, approximately 5-7 min until they look slightly golden and oily.
- In a blender add all of the roasted hazelnuts and chestnuts and blend until very fine texture.
- Add hazelnuts oil + salt and pulse,
- Add 1 Tablespoon of water a time (AS NEEDED) and pulse until the perfect creamy texture is reached.
- Season with maple syrup to taste.
- Keep the butter in a jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or maybe more.
- Toast country bread,
- Spread the toasted bread with Olive Oil
- Spread with the Chestnut butter
- Top with Burrata (or your favorite cheese)
- Season with Sea Salt, a little black pepper,
- Top with a few pieces of kale or arugula
- Drizzle with a Lemon Vinaigrette
- Cut into four sections and serve