1. If you had unexpected guests arriving at your home for dinner in
one hour, what would you whip up?
If it is in season will check my garden for some veggies and greens, next check the refrigerator and pantry and then make a decision if I have to go out to the restaurant or grocery store. Tacos are always a priority and a very quick fix. Typically I would whip a salad and/or seafood appetizer and a mix-grill of marinated meats and veggies on the deck.
2. What is the last dish you cooked for yourself?
Today was particularly a very hot day. I made some green apple Gazpacho in the morning and stored it away in the refrigerator and Crab filled Japanese Eggplant with Roselle leaves and green chili paste. Apples, Chilies, Peppers, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Roselle Leaves were picked fresh of my garden. I am from the rice and spice country, so made some fragrant Basmati Rice.
3. What ingredient could you not live without?
That's a tough one! It's like asking which one of your kids you cannot live without. Garlic!!
4. What was your worst kitchen nightmare?
Two of my cooks did not show up on the Valentine's day of 2002 and we had over 140 reservations. You can imagine the rest.
5. What is your most useful kitchen tool or appliance?
Charcoal fired Tandoor oven for Indian Kitchen and Taco Shell Deep fryer Basket for Mexican Kitchen.
6. What is your Favorite Connecticut restaurant (other than your own)?
Union League for Fine Dining
Barcelona for High Energy Bar/Dining
Modern Apizza or Colony Grill for Pizza
7. What is the most ordered dish @ your restaurant? Why?
Konkan Crab at Thali Restaurants.. Silky Velvety spice infused generous portion of Jumbo Lump Crab and Shrimp Masala Dosa at Thali too... A large crepe made of lentils and rice with turmeric potatoes, vegetable stew and chutneys, a great value for students and all. Tacos at the Oaxaca Kitchen. Kitchen made tacos and fresh fillings, pico de gallo and Mexican Sour Cream with Jalapeno infused Creme Fraiche
8. What defines an outstanding meal for you?
Great company, food, service and ambience. It has to be a combination of all.
9. Who do you like to cook for the most?
Though I like my commercial kitchens to cook for my customers, celebrity guests and elegant catering affairs, I love to cook for friends either in my home kitchen or at the Giants stadium.
10. What is your favorite recipe for this season? Can you share it?
It’s a record breaking hot temperature day with 104 and felt like 140. Perfect day to have some……..
Jitomates ahumados y gazpacho con Albahaca – Red Pepper Sorbet, Toasted Pepitas, Tomato Avocado Tartar & Jalapeno Oil, - Recipe to follow.