Ryan Fibiger, a recent graduate of Fleisher’s Grass Fed and Organic Meats’ whole animal butchery program, is bringing his skills to Westport...Saugatuck to be exact. Coming this September, Saugatuck Craft Butchery featuring pasture raised & organic meats will be open for business. Analiese Paik of the Fairfield Green Food Guide recently spoke with Ryan about the shop as well as his meat CSA which will launch before his retail doors officially open.
Here is the concept in Ryan's own words...
"Our mission is to bring back the neighborhood butcher with an emphasis on whole animal butchery, education, and the creation of community. We will provide locally raised meats, prepared foods, restaurant wholesale, catering, instructional programs, and an exceptional shopping experience to customers in Fairfield County."
"To execute our mission, we will:
- Follow a nose-to-tail philosophy and use every part of the animal (one of the few butcher shops in the country to do so)
- Champion the freshness, flavor and healthful benefits of pasture-raised meat
- Support the growth and viability of small local farmers
- Promote sustainable eating and delicious preparation
- Resurrect the role of the neighborhood butcher as a craftsman and educator"
Saugatuck Craft Butchery 575 B Riverside Avenue. Westport